Recipes by TypeRomantic Recipes
Cookies & Candies
Hot & Spicy
Jellies & Jams
Salad & Dressings
Sauces & Gravies
Soups & Stews
Quick & Easy
Easy Spice Cake
From Perfect Light Desserts
Makes one 9 x 13 x 2-inch cake, about twenty-four 2- to 3-inch squares
SERVING: Cut the cake into 2-inch squares to serve. STORAGE: Keep under a cake dome on the day it is baked. Double-wrap leftovers in plastic.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -spoon flour in dry-measure cup & level off
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cups (about 3 ounces) pecan pieces, coarsely chopped
One 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray and the sprayed surface coated with fine, dry bread crumbs
1. Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Stir the flour together with the baking soda, salt, and spices.
3. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until well mixed, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating smooth after each addition.
4. Decrease the mixer speed to low and beat a third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, followed by half the applesauce. Stop and use a large rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and beater. Add another third of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining applesauce. Stop and scrap again. Finally, beat in the remaining flour mixture, followed by the pecans.
5. Scrape the batter into prepared pan and smooth the tap.
6. Bake the cake about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
7. Cook the cake in the pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then unmold it to a rack to finish cooling.
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10-50 minutes
Other recipes by MD Resort B&B:
One Bowl Brownies!
Strawberry And Spinach Salad
Baked Herbed Cheese Eggs
Wafer Wonder Cake
Spinach Florentine Breakfast
Apple Crunch Bake
Hash Brown Casserole
Overnight Oven French Toast
Hash Brown Delight Casserole
Spinach Brunch Quich
Stuffed French Toast
Easy One Bowl Brownies
Chicken & Broccoli
Orange Pork Chops with Rice