Recipes by TypeRomantic Recipes
Cookies & Candies
Hot & Spicy
Jellies & Jams
Salad & Dressings
Sauces & Gravies
Soups & Stews
Quick & Easy
Manny's Cuban Black Bean Soup
Manny's Black Bean Soup will stop them in their tracks! Raised in Cuba - our recipes take on a definate Cuban flair that everyone loves!
1 - 1 lb pkg black beans, black turtle beans or frijoles negros
1 1/2 green bell pepper
4 Lg clovbes of fresh garlic, finely minced
1 Lg onion, finely chopped
2 Tbl. oil or rendered pork fat
1/4 cup Spanish wine or dry white wine
1 Tbs vinegar
1 Tbl. sugar
1 bay leaf, crumbled
2 Tsp oregano
1 Tbl salt
1/2 Tbl black pepper
1. Soak bean in 8 cups of cold water with a half green pepper for at least 2 hours (or overnight) until beans have swelled.
2. Boil beans and the pepper half in the same water for 1 to 1/2 hours, until beans can be easily mashed with a fork. Discard pepper half.
3. Make a sofrito: Sutee garlic, onion and remaining green pepper, finely chopped in hot oil or pork fat until onion has turned soft and yellow.
4. Add one cup of boiled beans to sofrito. Mash together with sofrito then pour completed cofrito back into the rest of the beans, mixing well.
5. Add remaining ingredients to beans, mix and bring to boil.
Reduce heat as low as possible and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hrs, until beans have a mushy texture. Remove cover and boil away any water that still remains. There should be no broth left.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Other recipes by The Edward Harris House B&B Inn: